Monday, December 7, 2015

Faux Chalkboard Canvases...using Old Sign Stencils by Funky Junk Interiors


Chipping with Charm: Faux Chalkboard Canvases Old Signs Stencils...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
I love all the fun chalkboard art out there...but unfortunately I was not "gifted" with chalk =board skills...so I grabbed some cool stencils and faked it...

Chipping with Charm: Faux Chalkboard Canvases Old Signs Stencils...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
I've been eyeing these cool stencils by my friend Donna of Funky Junk Interiors for a while now...
So many amazing designs to choose from... 
Chipping with Charm: Faux Chalkboard Canvases Old Signs Stencils...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
This little project is pretty simple...but I will walk you through it...just in case.
I started with some canvases I had purchased a while back at the craft store.  
I painted them with black chalkboard paint because I wanted it to have that real "chalkboard" look.
Next, I taped the stencils on to fit the canvas.  The stencils are actually long for sign making so I played with it a bit until I got that "layered" look that I was hoping for.
Chipping with Charm: Faux Chalkboard Canvases Old Signs Stencils...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
I gave it a light handed brush with white paint for a chalky appearance.
Chipping with Charm: Faux Chalkboard Canvases Old Signs Stencils...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
I gave each "layer" a while to dry in between each section of the stencil...important detail.
Chipping with Charm: Faux Chalkboard Canvases Old Signs Stencils...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
When all the layers of paint were completely dry...I actually went over the whole canvas with real chalk and then wiped it off...to soften the black and again, give it an authentic chalkboard look.
Chipping with Charm: Faux Chalkboard Canvases Old Signs Stencils...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
Chipping with Charm: Faux Chalkboard Canvases Old Signs Stencils...www.chippingwithcharm.blogspot.com
Now, maybe it's time for some cocoa?
Be sure to link over and check out these fun stencils and more...believe me, you will have a hard time deciding!!  There's still plenty of time to order for Christmas gifts.  You could whip up a bunch of signs or canvases in a couple of hours.  
And, if you are on my Christmas list, you might be getting one of these...;)

Have a wonderful week!
Chat soon,

15 comments:

  1. I love signs and the coffee bar with the enamel coffee pot is awesome! I met Funky Junk at the Nashville Flea Market a few years ago and blogged her. She gave me a sticker for my car, "Junker." David just removed it the last time he washed my car. I liked having it on there. It let people know why the "Junk."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sheer brilliance. Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been dying to get her stencils! Love how you used them. =)

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool use of stencils!! I love the result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty, Laurel! I love the black, white and turquoise combination. That enamled jug ... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quickbooks is a easy accounting tool in which it is easy to make accounts & payroll prepare but in case of facing the login error quickbooks error 15241 in payroll it can be resolve by the checking out this article

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reecoupons offers amazing discounts on any category you think. Get your hand on all your must-haves with discount on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an excellent post I seen, thanks that you share it with us very good

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you ever so much for your blog post. Really thank you! Really Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Appreciate you sharing, great article post. Much thanks again. Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Muchos Gracias for your post. Really looking forward to read more. Want more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good way of explaining, and fastidious piece of writing to take facts

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! Please also feel free to contact me through email or on my Chipping with Charm Facebook page. I love hearing from you :)